IT Job Search Tips: What Successful Job Seekers Do Differently?
After polishing the resume and carefully drafting the cover letter, candidates apply for the desired jobs and wait for a favorable reply. But, when they get that discouraging reply from an organization, they start to wonder what went wrong.
As a job seeker, you need to realize that mere clicking on the “Apply” button passively is not going to work. You need to practice certain methods throughout your job search. If you are actively looking for an IT job, check out the tips below shared by successful job seekers.
- Learn new technical skills – Learn new skills, which are current and are in demand so that IT recruitment agencies or IT employment websites can find you when they look for candidates of your background.
- Follow companies that interest you – Be well aware with the latest news as well as IT opportunities within those companies. Try to connect with people who are already working there.
- Keep adding new connections – Grow your network to be more visible. Expose yourself to new opportunities.
- Use social media effectively – Join groups such as LinkedIn and look out for IT job openings in your industry posted by other group members.
- Read relevant information – Take out some time each day to read news, interviews in IT industry. Stay informed about emerging technologies and latest trends in IT.
- Be consistent with your job search activity – Successful candidates set milestones for themselves. Every day they dedicate some time to visiting job search sites, sending applications, calling friends and family for introduction, talking to recruiters, etc. If you are seriously looking for a job, you cannot send applications only when you feel like.