It is hard to imagine our lives without having products/services rendered by tech giant – Microsoft. Did you know – Microsoft has as much interesting facts as its products?
Here are a few of them:
- Microsoft was originally called “Micro-Soft”. Windows was originally called “Interface Manager”.
- Microsoft has split its stock nine times since it went public back in March 1986. Put very, very simply, a company will generally split its stock when its share price becomes too high.
- The name of its search engine “˜Bing’ has its origins in Bingo. Just like the game, it was meant to suggest that something looked for has been found or realized. “˜Bang’ was also proposed because it was memorable, short, and easy to spell. Finally, Bing was chosen for the same reasons.
- Microsoft is one of the largest corporate collectors of artworks with over 5,000 contemporary pieces including painting, sculpture, works on paper, photographs, ceramics, studio glass, and multimedia works. Microsoft gathers arts from local artists, up-and-coming artists and big names.
- Microsoft has a reputation in the industry for asking off-beat, off-the-wall questions during its job interview. The most oft-quoted question is: “Why is a manhole cover round?” Whether this particular example is genuine, or an urban legend, it’s certainly true that Microsoft employs a very unusual, and forward-thinking interview process.